Ashleigh’s Birth Story

Everyone always enjoys hearing birth stories, so I figured I’d start with telling you Ashleigh’s birth story. I was blessed to have a very easy pregnancy. I didn’t have morning sickness, I didn’t swell up like a balloon and I really enjoyed being pregnant. I am very thankful for this, because I know some people can have a rough pregnancy.
Ashleigh was due on September 1, 2014 but she came on September 5, 2014. The day before I went into labor, I was trying all the tricks to help jump start labor…from raspberry tea, primrose oil, walking around and everything you’re supposed to eat. I got home from a busy day of trying to jump start labor and bounced on the exercise ball for a while and then I decided I was going to take a break and try to get comfortable enough to sleep…because I knew I was going to need it!
 So, I ended up falling asleep and in between waking up a million times to pee, I was woken up at 12:30 AM by some painful contractions, (or what I thought to be-it was hard to say because I’ve obviously never felt them before this point). They weren’t very consistent so I just tried to fall back asleep which was super difficult at this point. So I ended up getting up and taking a shower hoping that would help ease the pain and it actually didn’t so, it was around 2:45 AM when I couldn’t take the pain anymore and woke up Phillip and told him I thought I was in labor! He jumped up and showered and got dressed while I emptied the dishwasher and cleaned up the house-because I didn’t want to come home to a dirty home! Ha. Ha. I let my mom know and she got ready to meet up for some breakfast. We loaded  up the car with my hospital bag at least a month in advance so we would be prepared for this moment! So, we were on our way to meet my mom at McDonald’s-this was the only place open at this time of morning!! The road we took had what seemed like a million speed bumps that made my contractions hurt so much worse! I kept telling Phillip to slow down until we were practically barely moving. We lived less than 10 minutes  from the hospital and about 5 minutes from McDonald’s and somehow Phillip managed  to take a wrong turn on the way. Looking back at it now, it’s hilarious but at the time I didn’t think it was so funny. We finally made it to McDonald’s, I ordered two cheese biscuits and hash browns with a water and Phillip got two sausage biscuits and hash browns with orange juice. We ate this in the car since they weren’t open yet and my mom talked to us from the window and enjoyed her coffee.
After we finished eating we headed to the hospital! We got there around 4:45 AM and we had already signed all the papers so we wouldn’t have to wait long to get our room. They checked us in, and we headed back to check my contractions and they determined that I was indeed in labor and 2 CM dilated.Here’s a picture of us heading back into Labor & Delivery.
After verifying that I was in labor we headed into our room and we made ourselves comfortable. At first my mind was made up that I would know when I started having contractions if I was going to need an epidural or not….and once they started getting worse I just knew, but I tried as long as I could and after curling up in the fetal position grabbing onto the side of the bed for dear life, I made up my mind that I needed it! At this time it was around 10:30, so I made it a while without it, but seriously couldn’t take the pain any longer. I anxiously waited on them to bring in the anesthesiologist and when I saw him walk through the door I felt some relief.
After he gave me the epidural I was able to relax a little and I tried to sleep, but there were so many emotions running through my mind that I couldn’t. Phillip and my family were very supportive the whole time even though I probably wasn’t the nicest person. I remember that everyone kept brushing my feet as the walked by the foot of the bed and I kept getting so mad because I could sense that they were hitting my feet but I couldn’t feel it and it was just so frustrating to me!!As time passed I wasn’t  progressing in dilation so they ended up giving me pitocin to help speed up the process. I didn’t really want this but at this point it was around 3:00 PM and I was ready to meet our little princess!! At this point I was getting kind of frustrated because I was born at 4:34 PM and wanted Ashleigh to be born at the same time! But, the time passed and finally at around 5:00 PM I was at 10 CM and I started pushing….and pushing..and pushing…oh and don’t worry I’m STILL PUSHING…for 2 hours and 45 minutes…every 1-2 minutes I would have a contraction so I really didn’t get a break!!! I was so exhausted and anxious, I just remember closing my eyes and trying my best and trying not to give up. She really didn’t want to come out, but finally she made her grand entrance at 7:47 PM. It wasn’t as magical and blissful as I had imagined as they thought that she pooped while she was still in the womb, and this can cause problems if they swallow it, so they had to take her away immediately and check her out to make sure she was okay. I was very frightened because I didn’t know what was going on. Finally after less than 10 minutes, which seemed like an eternity, the nurse brought her over to me and explained what happened. She assured me that she was just fine and we could spend a little time with her before they had to take her away AGAIN to bathe her and do whatever else they do. This is the one thing that irritates me about hospitals, they don’t care about your birth plan at all. They finally brought her back to our room and we were so happy to have her back with us!
That’s our story, and we’re sticking to it! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *